Sunday 27 July 2014

The Blog Hop Why do I Write and other Questions




I have been nominated by  Jessie at Jessie Ansons  to do my own Blog Hop where I am required to answer 6 questions about my writing process and the reasons that I write. Sounds simple I know until you sit down and think about it.  But here goes.

I’ve nominated two other amazing writers to do their own Blog Hop.  





1.        Why do I write.
This question forced me to really explore the why, which I quickly realised was a very good thing at this particular stage of my writing. I realised it is a fairly simple answer. However ‘simple’ doesn’t translate to easy.
I love to tell stories. All kinds of stories.  As a child I enjoyed writing stories for school.  When I was younger I used to sing and loved the emotional songs.  I wanted to express the story and the emotion of the song and through voice, draw the listener in to experience that emotion. Now I strive to do that through the words alone

2.      Why do I write what I do?
I like to be eclectic in my writing so I can express many different emotions and experiences. I like to make people laugh with  jokes and so like to write humorous stories.  I read a lot of SF and fantasy and would like to write more in that genre. Sometimes I write on a particular theme for a competition but it has to be the right theme for me. I want to entertain the reader so they have to keep turning the page.

3.        What am I working on now?
For most of the last year I have been writing a Fantasy/Horror story, that started out with a goal of 10,000 words and grew like topsy into 22,000.  I have put the latest draft aside for a month or so to get some distance before I attempt a final edit. I have written a few 500 word stories for ABC Open and have resurrected my blog from the back burner.  Meanwhile I am back to short story writing.  This has been a difficult task for me as the rest  of my small writing group have been writing incredibly successful short stories – winning or receiving honourable mentions and being published. Their stories have depth and layers and I wanted to have that in my work.  For a short while I struggled to find depth and layers.  Then I realised I had been trying to do that the way they did and that wasn’t my way.  I don’t automatically think in metaphors for example. Now I am finding my own style of depth and layering  in my telling of stories.

4.        How does your writing process work?
Like Jess I do sometimes think of stories when I go about my daily life. I also think about the writing when doing repetitive computer games.  But when I sit down to write I don’t always have a finished story in my head, just a general idea of a start or a plot or  theme. When I write I like to have a large block of time. I tend to ‘think on the keyboard’.  I’m visual so I need to see the words. I like to edit a bit as I go, but generally start with ‘telling’ the story so I get a feel for the emotional content and then go back on the second draft for more showing.  Lately I’ve begun to realise that having a large block of time tends to make me a bit lazy.  I’m deadline driven so sometimes I start when there’s almost not enough time to finish (sigh). Perhaps I should follow all the sage advice I’ve been given and make sure I spend 30 min a day writing, no matter what.  Or at the least at the beginning of the day spend 30 minutes writing before doing anything else.  I need more discipline.

5.       Do I differ from others in my genre
I don’t really have a specific genre. At this stage in my writing I’m not planning to write a novel  quite  yet.  I’m happy writing short stories and long short stories and honing the craft.  If an idea for a novel presents itself to me and appeals I will venture into a novel.  Being part of a wonderful small writing group I have the amazing opportunity to read  stories in the different genres in which the members write.  We can recognize each other’s Voice and this has helped me to  recognise and come to accept my own Voice.

.Meet the Blog Hoppers 
Now I must nominate 3 Bloggers to complete the same task I have carried out above. Jessie has snagged some of the members of our small writing group. So I have only 2 at present but what  great writers they are.  I look forward to reading their Blog Hops.  

  • Karen  from ‘A Writer’s Life’  is a writer extraordinaire.  She is an amazing  teacher who has nurtured all the writers in our small group as well as many other local writers. In addition to  her blog, which gives wonderful writing advice, she writes exquisite 100 word stories for Friday Fictioneers, as well as prize winning short stories.

  • Elena from ‘othersidesun.blogspot.com’ is a wonderful bi-lingual Spanish-English writer of prose and theater.  She has a unique take on Australian life. She has had great success with published stories and articles as well as having one of her plays performed.

9 comments:

  1. I'm putting this as a comment in the hopes it will help those who have been unable to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marg, these are interesting and insightful answers to the questions. I was particularly interested in how you broke down the way you saw metaphor and layering working in different writers in your group and that you did it another way. One day I'd love to hear your extended thoughts on that issue. You have a distinct and engaging voice and I'm pleased you are coming to accept the beauty in it. Thanks very much for sharing your process of writing. It was fascinating to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, thank you for your very supportive comments. They have lifted my writing spirits today.I am working on extended thoughts on the layering and depth issues still and with the help of those in the 'Master Class' and my small group I am making some progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marg, I am having another go at leaving my comment on your post here. As I said in my email, I found reading your responses to the Blog Hop questions very interesting. They are clearly expressed in your own distinctive 'voice' and it is evident that you have mapped out a path for your writing journey. I am so pleased that our writing paths intersect so frequently and that we can share the journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Di for your lovely supportive comment. And thanks for persevering to get it in. I too am pleased that our writing paths intersect with each other and our groups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marg, what a wonderful, honest insight into your writing process. You have a lot of recent achievements to be proud of and it's nice to see many of them listed here. I particularly like how you've been able to describe your learnings over time. Sometimes reflection is a magical thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jess for your kind comment. It has given me a writing boost.I agree that reflection can be a magical thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely piece, Marg, open, insightful and amusing - just like you writing. Well done. Aidan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Aidan - It's always a bit of a risk to choose to be so open but necessary now and then I think. I'm pleased you liked the humour. :You are very encouraging.
    Marg

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from my readers!